Sarreguemines (France) Pitcher, with Rose relief | French Majolica
Sarreguemines pottery was established about 1784 by brothers Nicholas-Henri and Paul-Augustin Jacobi and partner Joseph Fabry. The enterprise remained unsuccessful until 1800 when Paul Utzschneider assumed management. Thereafter, the business expanded and prospered.
The Sarreguemines factory produced most of the original tiles used during the construction of the Paris metro. Majolica was added to its production in the 1860s.
At the conclusion of the Franco-Prussian War in 1874, Sarreguemines became German territory. In order to maintain the firm’s French nationality, two additional facilities were constructed in Digoin and Vitry-le-François.
Sarreguemines ceased production in 2007 and the firm was subsequently liquidated.
You can read more about the history of Sarreguemines, here:
A wonderful example of French majolica, featuring a beautiful pink rose relief, with lovely green foliage. The colours on this incredible piece are just incredible.
Measures approx 19.5cm tall and 11cm diameter and is in excellent vintage condition with very little, if any surface wear. Some light crazing commensurate with age.
Based on the backstamp of this piece we can confirm this was produced sometime between 1920 and the mid 1940s.