Sarreguemines (France) 10" Oyster Plates | French Majolica [Sold Separately]
Sarreguemines pottery was established about 1784 by brothers Nicholas-Henri and Paul-Augustin Jacobi and partner Joseph Fabry. The enterprise remained unsuccessful until 1800 when Paul Utzschneider assumed management. Thereafter, the business expanded and prospered.
The Sarreguemines factory produced most of the original tiles used during the construction of the Paris metro. Majolica was added to its production in the 1860s.
At the conclusion of the Franco-Prussian War in 1874, Sarreguemines became German territory. In order to maintain the firm’s French nationality, two additional facilities were constructed in Digoin and Vitry-le-François.
Sarreguemines ceased production in 2007 and the firm was subsequently liquidated.
You can read more about the history of Sarreguemines, here:
A wonderful selection of gorgeous 10" oyster plates, in a fabulous, traditional green majolica. These oyster plates are all in excellent vintage condition with no wear that we can see.
We have six available, each sold separately. They measure approx 25cm diameter (10") and 3cm tall (as they're a slightly elevated plate).
Based on our research on the date, these were produced sometime between 1920 and 1950.